Monday, November 4, 2013

Making comic strips

     The main thing I think about a comic strip is that it has to be funny. I know that it doesn't have to be, but when I look at them and if a series of comic strips are not funny, I most likely wont ever bother reading them again or look for them for that matter. Unless of course it had a story, which most probably do, and is interesting. But I find it difficult to even think of something that could be funny without copying someone else. I know something can come from life experiences and of course there has to be funny that has happen to us or others, but a lot of the times some of those moments are either hard to explain and need a lot of detail, or just something you had to be there for. Also, a lot of jokes can be inside jokes and only found funny by those who were involved before.


     And then there is the case in which you need to limit yourself when it comes to certain jokes in order not to offend someone. I guess I have being trying too hard to think of something funny for a comic strip even though I know it doesn't HAVE to be. I am no comedian, but I like to make people laugh so I guess that is why I have been trying to think of something funny. I could also try to come up with a comic strip that had a good message or teach a lesson of some sort.


      I still really like how simplistic comic strips can be. And yet I still go and try adding more detail than there has to be or end up drawing a character more comic or manga style than cartoon. When we were working on the the comics we made up during class, I just couldn't come up of a style I wanted the characters to look like and just drew what I was used to and I just hated it. Especially after we had to pass them around to work on another page, I just liked how everyone else's characters were drawn and then wish I could have changed mine completely. But oh well, I know a bit better for next time hopefully.


3 comments:

  1. The art of the comic strip is one of reduction, minimalism, and pacing. At the beginning you may be emulating your favorites and jokes may be reminiscent of others' work, but gradually you start to develop your own voice. So it might be useful at the beginning to just rip someone off to "warm up." Look at a comic, how is it paced, how does the joke work? Deconstruct it but rebuild it with your ideas. In the monkey comic could the doughnuts be eggs? How would that change what he says?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see what you mean. I does help to look at it differently and see what can be replaced and how it would change it. I never really considered doing that.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete