Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Comic: Eternals

I have to admit, it has been a long time since I have read or even held a comic in my hands. I have mainly been into manga graphic novels. I have been so used to the graphic novels being in black and white that I almost forgot most comics are in color. Now even though I mainly like seeing images in black and white, I enjoyed seeing the images, of the comics I picked up, in color.
One of the comics I picked up was Eternals by Marvel, published in 2008. The main thing that attracted me to this comic was the cover. On the cover it has an image of Iron-man and another character that I am not too familiar with. I may have liked it because it had Iron-man, and he is one of my favorite characters, but I also liked the art. It had this realistic look to it. The art work in this comic was nicely done, but it is not my favorite. I found the images to look a bit too realistic and I prefer for the art to still have a cartoon feel to it. The artist, Daniel Acuna, did a great job with color and shading. Some images almost had this 3D look and feel to it which was interesting, but again, not my favorite.
I was mainly looking at the images, so I haven't had a chance to read the rest of the comic, but just from the first few pages, I feel lost to what is going on. Mainly since I probably need to read the first issues and this is a continuation form those, so I don't know anything about the story. What I like is that it does have a decent amount of text, but it is not cluttered with it. So we can enjoy looking at the images.


2 comments:

  1. Color vs. black and white is good to think about. In manga why do you think the books are mostly B&W? How do we read a B&W comic differently?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most are probably done in black and white to save some money. Also, one can see more of where the tones were done.

      Delete