Monday, September 9, 2013

Unsounded

I found this graphic novel online done by Ashley Cope and the first things that grabbed my attention was the art style and color. This has a manga feel to it but still has a touch a cartoon feel as well. The color was very well done. It seems like things just pop out more using these sets of warm and cool colors rather than hiding things like detail in other comics/graphic novels when they are more dark colored.

The main thing I like about this graphic novel was the detail in landscape and background. Don't get me wrong, the characters were nicely done as well, which also has the art style I tend to enjoy more (anime/manga). You can see the detail worked on in almost every page. There is a dark colored scenario where one of the characters is "eaten" by a giant plant like creature and shows the character inside. What I really liked was how even in this dark scenario, detail was still consistent.
I mentioned before that I prefer graphic novels done in black and white, mainly because I prefer having my own drawings in black and white, but with out color here, it would be a bit harder to see the detail and appreciate it as well. As far as why most graphic novels tend to be in black and white, I believe it has to do with how long it may take to color the work in and also how much have it would cost to publish it. Especially since most graphic novels are longer than most comics.

2 comments:

  1. Nice find!

    Yeah, it's really important to think how the backgrounds place us in the worlds of the comics. Cope has a good sense of color, using a fairly limited palette on each page so there's not too much color and we can read more cleanly. In that second page it's nice to see the blank background around the character which helps emphasize that moment sort of in the character's mind while giving us a visual place of rest.

    So what do you mean by a manga vs. cartoon feel?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess what I meant was it had a mix of the anime style and american cartoons, but still not sure if this is correct. I know that was confusing, Was confusing with me after reading it again but wasn't sure how else to exactly put it.

      Delete